Friday, August 22, 2008

Spider Karma?

I just wanted to tell you all a story...

It all starts with me being a lackadaisical child, who loved the outdoors. I loved to watch bugs... and if my mom found one in the house I would do my darndest to save it and return it outside before she smashed it.

Fast forward... now I have a son who thinks rounding up bugs and putting them back outside is the "normal" way of doing things. Once in first grade he was sent home because a classmate purposely squashed a moth on the playground and they could not console him at school.

So... last night I went out after dark to put the trash down at the curb and walked into a very thick spiderweb. Although I am a "bug buddhist" I do not actually care to have them crawling on me, so I immediately dropped everything and ran straight to the house. I turned on the nearest light and proceded to brush off my head and shoulders and try to make sure I didn't have a hitch-hiker.

Well, after *thinking* there were no spiders on me, I looked down and saw one of my cats chasing what appeared to be a small black widow across the floor. I did a bad thing... I grabbed a nearby shoe and smashed it. It was pure instinct. I saw that red on black and the danger of it and freaked out.

So... now I am feeling guilty. Did I ruin 20+ years of bug karma? Was I spared a bite because of my past good deeds? I don't know... it has been on my mind all day.

No comments: