Friday, October 3, 2008

The worst trash day ever.

Today was trash day.

I put the trash and recycling out at the curb last night, all is well.

This morning I overslept by about 15 minutes (alarm volume got turned down) and had to rush to get my son ready for school. We were still about 5 minutes behind schedule when we got in the car to leave...I look down the street both ways and out the back, before putting the car in gear and backing down our short and VERY steep driveway. The driveway is so steep I cannot see the house across the street in my rearview mirror, all I see is blacktop. As I am cranking the wheel to complete pulling out of the driveway I hear a loud BANG and then crashing. I hit the DARN trash can with the front passenger side of the car.

Why did I hit the trashcan? Because they elected to leave it IN THE STREET AT THE END OF MY DRIVEWAY.

I leave the car parked in the middle of the street, get out and throw the trashcan into the yard while swearing up a storm. Get back in the car, and try to calmly drive my son to school without letting my anger affect him.

Got home, parked the car and finally got to inspect the damage. I put a 5 inch long "line-like" dent in the car... presumably I hit some squarish angle of the trashcan just right. MF! I am so angry...

Looking down the block, MY trashcan is the only one they left in the street. They could make the effort to put 99% of the trashcans on the curb, so why not mine?!! My grass is mowed, the area where I put the trashcan is perfectly flat (quite a contrast to the driveway)... just put the can back where you got it from.. is that so bleeping difficult?!

GRR. When I go to trade in or resell my car, these idiots will end up costing me several hundred dollars all in order to save themselves the 5 seconds it would have taken to put my trash barrel back in its place.

I was going to call them right away, but my husband could tell I was about 3 seconds away from getting in the car and chasing down the garbage truck with a softball bat... he stopped me and convinced me to let him call them later. I have a mousey voice and customer service people always treat me like I'm 13 years old...so hopefully he will have better results.

1 comment:

Galuna said...

Im sorry about your car. And I totally understand your anger. This kind of people are serious with their time. They are not willing to give a few more seconds in order to make the job right. And the most annoying thing of all is that they think they are right, that they did not make any mistakes along the way. I would not like to be in the position of the garbage man if he ever got to your neighborhood again to take the trash. Especially if you happened to see him...!